Thursday, August 03, 2006

Bread, Cheese and Chocolate

In Geneva, I found myself in the middle of globalization at its best. Jay, our family friend who works for the UN, was hosting a little get-together for a group of Malaysians who were visiting his organization. Since I was there, I would up part of the "international delegation" that included Americans, Malaysians, Scots, Spaniards, Swiss and Ted, Jay's dumb but lovable lab. We sipped juice and ice tea, nibbled on nuts and talked about European Football on Jay's porch. Civilized and dignified and way classier than hostel living.

That evening, as we were cleaning up, Jay and I started chatting about a more local subject: the eccentricities of Switzerland. We moved onto the topic of doctors in Switzerland when Jay remarked that the Swiss remedy for high blood pressure and cholesterol is not medication, but to reduce one's intake of bread, cheese and chocolate. "But," Jay said, responding perhaps to the look of terror on my face, "if you're gonna do that, why live in Switzerland?"

The next day, I was on my own (it being a Friday, Jay was off to the office). I slept in (on a real bed!), did two much-needed loads of laundry, walked Ted and then set off for the Old Town and my favorite part of Geneva: the lake. However, on the way down to the water, I swung by a Swiss grocery store. Breakfast had been a few peaches and some coffee, so my tummy was in need of more substantial fixings. I grabbed a loaf of bread, considered the coffee-flavored yogurt, squeezed the peaches and wound up in the cheese section, staring at half-priced Heidi-brand Swiss cheese (but without the holes). I snagged a 1.5L bottle of ice tea and went searching for dessert. I almost grabbed the sour gummy worms when I realized what I had in my hands. My Heidi cheese and bread made up two of the essential Swiss eatables; there is no way I could deny myself the third! Into the basket went a bar of dark chocolate. The essentials. Bread, cheese, (ice tea) and chocolate! And all for less than $5.

I picnicked along the lake until the weather started to look stormy. On my way back to Jay's apartment, the rain came. I managed my way into the apartment, dried off, walked Ted and met up with Jay, who was off to a dinner. I asked him if he could recommend a good, local, small place serving more traditional Swiss cuisine. Jay laughed and said, "Had you said you wanted fondue on any other night, I would have said you're crazy. Tonight, however, you might be able to get away with it." And so, restaurant name and address in hand, I headed out for my second meal of bread, cheese and (after dinner) a nice warm hot chocolate. It was great to be the only native English speaker in the place! And, of course, to indulge in the cuisine that is truly delicious and utterly Swiss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home